Blog by Kristen Hicks
So I have a challenge for you guys! I The Lord has been talking to me a little lately about being unseen. I feel like we all go through a season, if not multiple seasons (some even our entire life), that we feel overlooked, forgotten or unseen. I am actually learning this to be a good thing. When we find ourselves doing things that we don’t get noticed or applauded, we can shift our minds and our thinking to a heavenly perspective. We are placing our hearts and our minds in a position of finding our worth in the eyes of the Father not in the eyes of man. So once again, it is counter-culture. It feels backwards and goes against our flesh not to do things to be seen by man. However, the joy that is awarded to us by the Father, when we do things His way, is unmistakably more amazing! He looks upon us with a beaming smile and joy, as we begin to look more and more like His Son. He’s a proud Father! Not because of what we do or don’t do, but simply when we turn our eyes and hearts to Him and view ourselves in the reflection of His eyes. You won’t be able to help but be moved with compassion to inspire, serve, and love on others, not for any approval at all, but because you know whose you are and you know you are loved and seen and heard by Him! And because you are moved by your love FOR Him!
So my challenge is this: Go get before the Father, stay there until you see His smile! Stay there until you can look yourself in the mirror and KNOW you are His child. Then go inspire someone else, and pour out this new found joy that you have found in the Father’s eyes. Here are some ideas just to get you started:
- Make a meal for someone
- Volunteer at a local charity
- Go buy things to put in the Little Food Pantry
- Write a letter of appreciation to someone.
- Write our a scripture, a prayer, or just encouraging note and leave it somewhere for a stranger to find.
- Be a secret friend to someone. Find out something unique about them and buy them a special prize.
- Bake someone cookies!!!
- Visit a senior center and “adopt” a grandparent and just sit and talk with them.
- Learn to crochet or knit and make blankets for a local shelter
- Pick up liter in a park
- Tutor a student that is struggling in a particular subject
- Give someone a hug that looks like they need one.
- Give someone a laugh
- Let someone go in front of you at the checkout line or in traffic
- Send out encouragement cards to whoever the Holy Spirit puts on your heart.
- Mow someones lawn
- Go through your closet and take whatever your don’t wear or use anymore to a local shelter.
- Pick up lunch for your spouse and take the kiddos to the office and eat lunch together
- Pay for a coworkers lunch
- Offer to take an elderly person to a doctor appointment and keep them company.
- Invite someone to dinner that you wouldn’t normally hang out with
- Pay for a stranger’s meal
- Give someone a flower
- Randomly offer to babysit a friends children for a few hours
- Send a text prayer to someone that the Holy Spirit has been laying on your heart.